Sunday, September 30, 2012

A whole new spin on "who's your daddy"...

I remember when I was younger hearing a song on the radio called "I'm My Own Grandpa".  It was one of those natty novelty tunes, where a man marries a widow with an adult daughter, and his father marries the daughter.  Then both couples have kids.

Go on, think about the family tree for a minute ... the father is the son's stepson in-law.  The father's kid is the man's half brother AND step grandson.  The man's daughter is the father's half step-sister AND granddaughter.  And, of course, the man is his own grandfather.  Trippy, huh?

But of course even with the worlds most fucked up family tree, no one in that particular song was involved in incest.

Not like this poor woman in Ohio who found out after her husband's death that the man was, in fact, her father.  Can you imagine?  You live with a man for all those years, only to find out later that all that time you were being lied to.  And not only by him, but by family, friends, pretty much half of the community!

Because you can't convince me that they didn't know!  Sure most of them are dead and gone now, so there's no way to know for sure, but some of them MUST have know!  After all, it was an uncle who told her after the man died.  Makes you wonder why the hell no one thought it would be a good idea to clue her in before she married him, doesn't it!

I think if I was her I'd be utterly furious with everyone, and I certainly wouldn't be letting it get out into the media, but this woman made the decision to go public.  Seriously, that takes some guts!  She wanted to show that it was possible to get over something like this, and that she wasn't ashamed.  And she shouldn't be!  SHE didn't do anything wrong!

No, it was the people in her family who fucked up royally!  It was her husband who I'm sure knew what their real relationship was!  They must have had heaps of time to clue her into the fact, or even let her know later on, but instead they chose to just let it stay secret.  But this woman, she didn't do a damned thing to be ashamed of, and I give her total credit for embracing that fact.

... but if I'm being completely honest, I have to admit that the first thing that came into my head when I read this was "Oh god, I hope he never asked her to call him Daddy when they were in bed".

Yeah, I know.  Sorry.

30 comments:

  1. Surely the extended family would have had a legal obligation to point this out? Also apparently they never had the conversation before they got married about "Do you have any children? Do you want kids?" Egad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what they were thinking. I'd be ropeable if it was me.

      Delete
  2. Hello Kellie:
    Such things as you describe here are both appalling and almost beyond one's understanding. But one's heart instinctively goes out to the victim in such cases and, in this particular one, for the trauma and distress which she must have suffered once the truth of her situation was made known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed by her bravery in not letting it destroy her life.

      Delete
  3. How horrible, and how cruel. It must also have been very frustrating that as he was dead she wasn't able to ask, why!
    I had endless confusion sorting out my own family tree, when a widow married a widower and then his daughter married her son. The older woman appeared on the census as her son's mother in law, which technically she was, but it took me ages to work it all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Got to love things like that. We've got a few like that in our family tree too, with one set of siblings marrying another set, and with one set of siblings marrying another set of cousins. It makes for very loopy charts.

      Delete
  4. I agree, shame on the family for not telling her. And for sure the husband/father had to know. How awful, I can't even imagine. Thank God they didn't have kids together is all I can say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes you wonder what on earth he was thinking, doesn't it.

      Delete
  5. It boggles the mind. Are mates really so hard to come by that some people decide to breed their own? Horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww no, you didn't have to end it with that imagery. Ew ew ew.
    I can't believe that song exists.
    I can't believe that woman went public. Why? What does she have to gain from going public with that? I can see why no one told her...Hang with me on this. If she doesn't have any siblings, her mom is dead, and they live far away from anyone who knew them back before they were a couple. I just moved to a new community, they don't know anything about us. And I don't talk to any of my cousins or extended family. So I could see why no one let that little gem out of the bag until the funeral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but that's the thing. From the sounds of it, they did live near her family, and they had plenty of opportunity to tell her.

      Delete
  7. Speaking as a Dad, I cannot comprehend any father acting in that way. It's our job to protect our wee angels not to abuse them. As for the rest of the asswipes involved in the cover-up, I just hope they can be prosecuted for conspiracy.

    Apropos your closing paragraph; Ewww.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha. That last thought made my entire week. Seriously though. Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On repeat reel in my head..."Who's yer Daddy? Who's yer Daddy?"

    I'll be in the bathroom gagging into the sink if anyone needs me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh crap. I had the same thought. Bad, bad Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TEEEEEEEEEHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.....you are brilliant.

    I really loved seeing your comment, knowing that you became a follower a while back....thank you for visiting and letting me know you came by.

    I MUST investigate this song and story behind it a bit further..O MY!

    HAVE A SUPER DAY! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Pickleope, why does she want to tell the world? I probably would keep this to myself and never mention it again. Also, I'd still be in the shower, water run cold, scrubbing off the shame. Sure, it's not your fault, but that doesn't make it any less gross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be in the shower too, rocking back and forth and scrubbing myself with lye soap.

      Delete
  13. OMGosh love the post! The Maury Show definitely makes me wonder especially when women are back for their twenty something testing. :/ I always picture that ladies family tree swinging like the wheel of fortune wheel. :/ Def enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete