Monday, January 27, 2014

I'd never be accepted into a bikie gang ... maybe a moped one...

Source
I've always been a big believer in equality.  The idea that no matter your age, race, gender, sexual orientation, or steak cooking preferences (I like mine blue), you deserve to be treated the same.  I know it doesn't always happen, that change comes slowly sometimes, but I guess I just took it for granted that we were moving forward, not backward.

But I have to admit, the new laws that they've put in place here in Queensland about bikie gangs have me feeling very uncomfortable.

For those of you who aren't familiar with what I'm talking about, some pretty harsh laws have been put into place in Queensland that are extremely biased against anyone who is suspected of being part of a motorcycle gang [Link].  From what I understand, bikies can be punished much more harshly for crimes, and now it's even illegal for three or more members of a motorcycle gang to be together in public even if they're not doing anything wrong.

As you can imagine, that makes it a little difficult for bikers to protest given that any gathering will be seen as illegal and they could all be arrested.  

I haven't really paid as much attention to it as I probably should have, I'm not a bikie and I don't know any, but I read an article today about how they've arrested the first woman on bikie related charges, a librarian [Link].  Well I may not be a bikie, but being a library employee that was bound to get my attention.

If someone breaks the law, I totally agree that they should be held accountable for it.  But to say that certain people are going to be treated differently to everybody else ... I don't know what to do with that.  I get that some bikie gangs have been connected to criminal activity, but can you use that to justify turning them into second class citizens who don't have the same rights as everybody else?

I suppose when you get down to it it's not about the ridiculously disproportionate laws, it's about the message behind the restrictions.  The message that says some people don't deserve the same rights as everybody else.  If this was done to a particular race or culture all hell would break loose.  What makes these people any less deserving of protection of their rights just because we're talking about a club rather than a culture?

There has been quite a lot of discussion about it around here, and no matter what they might think of organised crime or bikie gangs in general, most people seem to agree that taking away their equality is a pretty dangerous road for us to be heading down.  They're bound to fight back, and I can't say that I blame them.

Honestly, I can understand why the bikies are still wearing their colours, despite the risks.

11 comments:

  1. It's just wrong, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess we're all on the slippery slope now. If it works for bikies and they reduce the crime or whatever it is that has caused this to be put in place, then of course it will be used for other groups of people, especially if they are deemed to be trouble-makers. How about street gangs? Groups of drug addicts? Prostitutes on the corners? The list is endless.

    What about the old grannies who meet up on the street blocking the pavement with their shopping trolley's, chatting for what seems hours. Sometimes I have to ask them to move so I can get past. That's a crime in itself, blocking the public highway, ha ha ha. Just imagine how far they could go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My community here in Michigan just introduced an ordinance allowing someone to call the police if someone is blocking their way I a sidewalk, or even staying to long at a table in the local eatery. Ridiculous.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine such a law would get a pass from a high court. That is blatantly discriminatory.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get past the word "bikie" Here in the U.S,, I have never heard the word before. Here biker gangs are BIKER gangs. The word is so close to binkie which is a baby's pacifier.

    As far as the subject at hand, any time laws are put into play on a generalized assumption, or a stereotype...there is going to be trouble. That is a common problem everywhere...not recognizing that "one size doesn't fit all".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lowandslow is right, at least in the US this would never stand up in a higher court. I'm guessing the same will be true down under.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Favorite Young Man rides a bicycle, not a motorcycle. He sometimes participates in illegal bicycle races that wend their way through traffic. After finishing one last fall, he rode into the back of an SVU that suddenly stopped for no reason. I took him to the emergency room. I didn't say a word. Cyclists of all kinds have their own special world.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does seem rather extreme. Do they restrict car enthusiasts, say people who own and drive Beetles?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a slippery slope for sure. Once you start down it, it is not long until things are out of control. Regaining that control? Not so easy. Good luck on this.

    I can understand the concept of why lawmakers want it, but it still doesn't make it right or good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bikies? That's awesome, makes them sound cute. In US we call them "bikers." Not nearly as cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off, I like my cow well done.

    Second, I wouldn't mind a moped.

    Third, the cops need to keep on the backs of the big gangs that are constantly in trouble, not the little minor ones if they've never been in trouble.

    God, what if you're in some sort of fashion or music club and get around in your "club" colours and you just happen to get around on bikes? We'd all be pulled over.

    ReplyDelete